Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday August 21, 2010

Today's upper room devotional was perfect so I thought I would share with everyone. 
After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, support, strengthen, and establish you.-1 Peter 5:10 (NRSV)
Being on crutches again and unable to drive was frustrating for me. Friends were helpful, however, and made sure I got where I needed to go: church, Bible study, the doctor, and the grocery store.

Returning after one outing, as I made slow progress up the stairs to my apartment, my friend followed closely. With each step, she lightly placed her hand on my back.
"Your hand is comforting," I said. "It steadies me."
Often we find ourselves in circumstances where we need comfort. God, like a shepherd tending a flock with a staff, places a hand on us. God touches our hearts when we need it most, and we feel more at peace. God's peace keeps us steady in our trials. We're able to move through difficult times, overcoming temptation, doubt, and fear.
Sometimes God's comfort comes through our hearing or reading a passage of scripture. Or we may receive help and support from another believer. Many times God speaks through the Spirit in answer to prayer. However the help comes, we can always trust that God's comfort will steady us.
Paula Geister (Michigan, USA)
Dear Lord, help us to remember that you offer the peace and comfort we need to get through life's trials. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment